Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Is Romance Only in Movies?

With the changing of times have come endless forms of communication, the accessibility of anyone at any time. We are able to do business at any hour of the day--even internationally--at the click of a button. We can text message, call, conference call, email, video message, and video conference, instant message, phone over the internet, email from our phones, order delivery online… There is every means possible for us not to get in direct contact with one another. (And I am equally as guilty of this as I prefer a text message that takes five seconds to a 30 second phone call to tell someone one second worth of information.) But in all this chaos of typing, texting, and media, we have somehow lost ourselves leaving even personal relationships slightly distant, detached, or maybe even cold. How many of us are guilty of having full conversations through text or IM? (Raise hands, please. You know you’re guilty.)

I went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button which is staged in the 1930’s and into the 1940’s. Of course the movie was great, but what I really noticed was the demeanor between people (specifically male-female interaction) in the movie. I left with a warm heart from a great story but also a sense of longing for the simplicity that romance in the 30’s and 40’s held. Even the slightest gesture like a man asking a woman to dance seems so romantic when you’re used to some faceless guy creeping up behind you at a club and going all dog-in-heat on your leg. (Sex only sells in certain situations. This is not one of them.) And I’m sure women are guilty of some equivalent of this, but I’m finding that even the smallest gestures that were once the ‘appropriate thing to do’ are now perceived as grand gestures. If a guy showed up at my door with flowers on a first date, I, of course would be totally flattered. But there would still be a nagging part of me wondering if he was a) for real or b) trying to get laid. I can admit that I would probably be a bit embarrassed or curious as to why he was so invested in this date (or in me). I’m not meaning to say that I’m not worth that, but it’s something different from what I’m used to and therefore slightly unnerving. (It’s like someone being really nice to you without good reason. You sadly, cynically wonder what their ulterior motives are…)

I don’t know which came first:
The Chicken: Was it our (women’s’) reactions that were off-putting to the men? Was it the men investing and then being rejected that discouraged this behavior?
Or the Egg: The ease and convenience of reaching one another left people feeling all that much more comfortable before even reaching the initial getting-to-know-you stage? Thanks to Facebook (guilty), MySpace (guilty), LinkedIn (guilty), blogs (duh), e-mailings (duh again), subscriptions (TiVo suggests shows I might like based on what I record… So does iTunes. So, guilty), and professional profiles, we can find out almost anything about someone before we go out with them.

When you have all that information at your fingertips, you can’t help but feel closer, or at least more enlightened, about someone. There have been times that I determined--from a Facebook profile--whether or not I want to go out with someone. Maybe he was smoking in a picture, maybe he drops ‘F-bombs’ throughout his self-description, maybe he’s just a little too close with his Mom in a few pictures, whatever it may be… it deterred me from giving this guy a chance.

No, that’s not fair to him. You’re right. I haven’t even allowed him to show up at my doorstep with flowers and sweep me off my feet a la Noah in The Notebook. In a matter of minutes, I met him, got to know him (or what at least I could gather from 20 photos of him on a friend's boat with beer gear attached to his head), and ruled him out. Along with the revisions we, women, need to make on being more direct, being more assertive and outgoing, and ultimately, more confident. Men, maybe it’s time to ‘bring sexy back’ by making the woman feel sexy… like a lady. And no, I don’t mean grabbing her butt when she gets up to go to the bathroom. Not cute. What I mean is showing her that you’re really into her. (And not ‘really’ as in, a lot. Really as in, legitimately.)

Yes, giving flowers on a first date is a bold move, but it’s totally respectable. I guarantee I’d blush while being a little cynical. But I also guarantee that in an instant I would forget my cynicism, find it charming and, of course, gush to my friends later while secretly praying that you’re the real deal. Woman don’t like being skeptical. (Unless you’re just generally miserable. In which case, I got nothin'...) For example, leading her through a crowd by putting your hand on the small of her back… Sometimes that little contact can send the message that you are into her and that you respect her. From a woman’s perspective, that little gesture takes things out of the dreaded ‘friends zone’ and maybe sends that little electric shock up her spine. (Bet you didn’t know something so small could have such a huge reaction!) Asking her to dance properly and taking the lead. That's romantic. And even… *insert Darth Vader music* Giving her a compliment! “Wow! You look really nice tonight!” can send her blushing like a schoolgirl.

I know this isn’t the 1930’s anymore. I know there is more expected, no… demanded… of us. I know we work 60+ hours a week and we have hobbies and plans and meetings and conference calls and family obligations. I get it. But this can apply to anyone; those of you who are single and those of you who are married, male or female. Unfortunately, sometimes ‘getting comfortable’ also unintentionally means forgetting about the little things that go a long way that take no time at all. (Also, ladies, maybe we’re forgetting little things like saying ‘thank you’ when he opens the door for you or links your arm with his. Maybe we should try to be outwardly more appreciative, no?)

So, maybe our grandparents are a bit dated on some things. (Although I really am tempted to steal one of my Pop’s fedoras…) But, I gotta’ tell ya', I’ve never met a man over 65 who hasn’t held the door open for me when I walk in somewhere. (Unless he was physically unable… In which case, I held it for him. Remember? Level playing field.) Maybe we should learn from our grandparents how to be romantic, gentlemanly and ladylike, all over again. Maybe this is another reform we could all work on. So, until one of you sends me flowers instead of an "I had a great time!" text message, I’m just going to sit here with my glass of red and piece of chocolate and watch Benjamin Button. Anyone care to join me?

6 comments:

  1. Great post Becky. Initially I remember when I first met you and wanted to have dinner with you as friends. I wasn't interested in anything more than friendly conversation and a good meal, but I do remember back then that you were apprehensive. You were low on funds while I was in a better state and worried that I'd be demanding more out of you if I picked up the check. Thankfully now you're not as defensive, but it does unfortunately show a lot of what many men go through when they do want to be more classy when it comes to women.

    You asked what came first the chicken or the egg...I believe it was both in this case. While some woman out there embraced feminism and told the man who brought her flowers "WHAT? YOU THINK YOU CAN BUY ME NOW???" at the same time some guy out there was being good to a woman with ulterior motives, and thus made said woman a bit more mistrustful of males when the proverbial sh*t hit the fan.

    I personally think romance only dies when both sides let it...and I'm not blaming any one gender, but both. When I see couples having problems, often times it's because when the two met they were two people who clicked, but over time, the person each partner fell for slowly vanished. Someone or both gained weight, chopped their hair, stopped dressing up, stopped holding doors and pulling chairs, didn't call just to say hi, etc.

    I personally feel the key to keeping romance alive is as you said to take that time out of the day to be romantic. Even if it's just a "thinking of you :)" text. I also believe deeply that no matter what changes the two make in their lives...be it bigger careers, moving in together, marriage, kids, etc...DATING SHOULD NEVER STOP. As far as I'm concerned, the girl I marry in life will still be my girlfriend for life. I will still treat her like as if we're not married and we're dating/courting. I see nothing wrong with sending her flowers out of the blue, and especially taking her out on dates. Rings and "I do" doesn't mean dating should stop, and I think this is one of the biggest reasons I see so many relationships fail.

    Likewise, I'd love it if she also remained my girlfriend too. That she'll doll herself up when I take her out, and maybe texts me the "thinking of you" message, or even more enticees me with seductive messages all day, making me yearn to come home to her more than anything. That we crawl into bed to sleep, and we snuggle up rather than move to separate sides of the bed. Little things can make such a big difference in a relationship, and I can never understand why so many men and women reject the idea and even push away their mate.

    Getting back to where this reply started, I also think if someone is going to be constantly cynical and defensive, be it a friend inviting them out to a social dinner or even a date bringing flowers, then it's not a question of "has romance died?" but more "are you carrying baggage?" I know no matter how many women I've had play games and flake out on me in my past, I never would start dating a new girl with big walls of defense set up. I will keep my eye open if I see a potential red flag, but I try to give trust and faith in this new person...rather than assume she is like the ones who did me wrong, simply because they are all of the same gender.

    One needs to invite romance into their lives if they want it, not stand at the edge of the pool all their lives and only stick their toe in to see if the water is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother ALWAYS says that the sexual revolution ruined EVERYTHING and that "they" had so much more fun than we did.

    I somewhat agree. Feminism aside, courtship is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D-Jam,

    I like your response but your second to last paragraph really struck a chord with me. When you said, "...then it's not a question of 'has romance died?' but more 'are you carrying baggage?'" you make it sound like anyone who possibly second guesses one's intentions is carrying baggage, and that's not fair.

    Our (people, generally) hesitations are usually based on experience. So we go back to the what came first question but I don't think being a bit 'safe' is necessarily considered baggage. I think it's unrealistic for us to walk around unaffected by things that have happened in our past or fears we may have for our future. And I think if you ARE walking around with ZERO baggage then maybe it's not baggage that you're lacking but rather not learning from your past. Everyone has sensitivities. And the term 'baggage' has a very negative connotation.

    As a female, I refuse to be looked at as having 'baggage' because that is often associated with man-hating, jealousy, mood swings, pretty much everything PMS has gotten a bad wrap for. (Which is another topic in and of itself.) You can have trust and faith in a new person even while being a bit guarded. In our society of being blown off via MySpace, text message dumped, or cyber-stalked thanks to any one of many mediums, to be completely carefree and open is actually unsafe.

    There are red flags all over the place. And while it's not fair for women to think a man has ulterior motives in bringing her flowers, it's also not fair for a man to be saying "Well, she's got issues so she doesn't deserve flowers." And trust me, there are men out there with just as many (if not more) red flags than women. (Please see my Tales from the Crypt post for confirmation on that one!)

    So that's another term that I think should be eliminated from our vocabulary unless we're talking to a flight attendant or shopping at TUMI. Everyone has baggage. Everyone has red flags. It's human nature. Just like our competitive 'survival of the fittest' nature. You can invite romance into your life without seeming offputting or defensive but still being smart about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caroline,

    Isn't courtship a part of modern Feminism?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, I understand your thoughts on playing things safe, especially due to past experiences.

    I agree that when it's the first initial dates that it is better to not get deeply into the idea of romance when the goal should more be to make this other person comfortable with you.

    You're asking if romance is dead, and my reply is simply that MEN AND WOMEN are JUST PLAIN SCARED NOW...PERIOD. It's what I see all over. People who really do want romance should be cautious in the beginning, but be careful that they don't let the caution become large brick walls that keep romance from finding them.

    I look at our mutual friend we'll call "Jewish Girl" for reference. She's been through some horrendous things with men in her past, but I always admired how her romantic spirit never died. She's still willing to fall in love and to take the leaps...even if she gets burned again. You mentioned people in the "old days" like in that movie, and I see the same in her. A very classic kind of thinker in this sense.

    I look at people with baggage as those who keep claiming they want love, romance, etc...but they consistently refuse to let anyone bring it into their lives. I don't see the girl who's being cautious on the first date as someone with baggage, but the girl who goes out with a guy for 2 months and is still scared to even kiss him, thinking he'll abuse her in an instant the moment she lets her guard down.

    ReplyDelete